Thursday, June 12, 2008

Resistance is Futile!

(After moving and waiting for my Internet to be hooked back up I'm finally back online.)

One of the things I've been struggling with is resistance. I find that when I don't want to do something I usually have an excuse as to why I shouldn't have to do it or why it doesn't apply to me... but I've come to learn that this is my resistance to change. I'm used to doing (or not doing) something in a specific way and why should I change my behavior now? Why? Why?? Because change is the only way to become better, to improve, to stop something I don't like and start something I do.

One of the things I've been resisting is push ups. I don't like push ups, I hurt for days afterwards, why should I even do them, what good are they anyway, it's not like I'm competing for a strong man competition or something!

So, to defy my resistance I'm going to lie. That's right, I'm going to LIE to myself.

The more we lie to ourselves the more the lie becomes truth. We lie to ourselves a hundred times (or more) a day about all sorts of things. Just listen to the negative thoughts you think, such as "I can't lose weight- others can, but I can't," "I'm fat," "I hate vegetables," "I'm addicted to sweets," etc. When we listen to those lies long enough they turn into truth. If our minds are so powerful to change lies into truth we should use that power for our good.

So I'm giving you permission to lie to yourself! Take one or two negative things you say to yourself and change it into a positive affirmation. Change what you think/say to be the exact opposite. Exaggerate and add enthusiasm and feeling to what you say. Here's mine:

I LOVE push ups! I love how they make me sore after working out- it means I'm achieving my goal of being a happier, healthier me! I feel so happy when I'm pushing myself (literally) forward!

Now repeat your positive affirmation- in your head, out loud, and/or write it down- over and over. You can do this in the morning when you wake up, when you're brushing your teeth, taking a shower, eating, standing in line at the store, changing diapers, cleaning, etc.

So take that, resistance! Your attempts at sabotage are futile.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

nice! I love this! thanks!

Marie said...

very good suggestion. thanks!!!

Rachel said...

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Now to continue my mantra, "I love push ups, I love push ups!" :-)

 
template by suckmylolly.com