Monday, June 2, 2008

My Intro

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this blog through Marie and I can soooooooooooo totally relate. My name is Kathy and I'm fat. . .ugh, there, I've said it publicly. I remember growing up and not being fat but being harped on by my mom to watch what I ate or I'd be fat when I grew up. Well, guess she was right!

I'm only 5'2" and weighed 103 when I graduated from high school. I was active and was a 4 sport athlete in high school--volleyball, basketball, softball, and ran track. I did gain weight my Freshman year but it was the Freshman 8-10 and not 15. I did Crew and was the Coxswain so I had to be small. I only did this my Freshman year but worked in a gym the rest of the time I was at UCLA so I had ample opportunity to work out--I lived in the gym. By the time I graduated college, I was about 120 but still a size 4. I thought I was big then, especially since I had the same boyfriend throughout high school and college and he kind of harped on the weight gain.

After college, I started teaching and didn't have time to work out twice a day so the weight slowly crept on. When I got married, I probably weighed about 125-130 and my ex always threatened to leave me if I got fat. Well, I showed him since I got pregnant and left him! After my first son was born, I hovered around 140 since I couldn't shake the weight. I bumped up my workouts when he was about a year old and ended up losing weight. I got to about 128 but was in a size 4 again. Of course, I thought I was fat. . .

It was at this point that I met my current dh and he thought I was beautiful the way I was and couldn't believe I had a child when we met since I was so incredibly awesome looking :-) I left the classroom and went into administration which meant longer working hours so less working out time plus we moved in together and I commuted to work and the weight crept up. By the time I got pregnant with ds #2, I was about 140ish. . .but I was still a size 6/8 and could wear a bikini. I didn't really lose weight after ds #2 was born and then got pregnant with dd. I actually did well during the pregnancy and only gained 16 pounds so I thought I'd be in good shape after she was born. Well, I didn't lose the weight and she's 3 now and I weigh more now than I did when I delivered her. I can't claim "I just had a baby" as an excuse any longer.

I know what I need to do. I need to watch what I eat and get some exercise but I find it hard to find time. I can't get up early in the morning to work out because I stay up too late. I work full-time and have 3 kids and 3 dogs :-) plus dh.

At the beginning of the year, I weighed myself and found out that I was at 172. It was really eye opening and a sad day for me. Since then, I've lost 6 pounds so I'm currently at 166. I don't like it and I know it needs to go down.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts with you all!

Kathy

4 comments:

Marie said...

Welcome Kathy!! I hope that you will find the support here that you need from people who know what you're going through. Not someone who can not eat for a day and drop 10 pounds, or someonen who doesn't need to lose weight and never gains it. All of US have been there or are where you are now and I know I'm excited about this group!!! Take care!

Kristen said...

Kathy, thanks so much for sharing. I'm so glad that you found us and want participate, I think this will be really helpful for all of us!

glitter girl said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Kathy! Hang in there...

Rachel said...

Welcome, Kathy! We're glad to have you.

Sorry everyone that I haven't been around... I moved and then didn't have internet up for awhile.

 
template by suckmylolly.com