Monday, June 2, 2008

Diabetic Exchange Diet

My sister (who is a nurse) suggested that I check out the Diabetic Exchange Diet. She said that in spite of the name, it's really the best diet for anyone who wants to lose weight in a healthy way. I found some great info at the Mayo Clinic website. It seems to focus a lot on serving sizes, portion control, and eating a variety of foods. For those of you who have had success with Weight Watchers, this is apparently a bit similar, but easier, free, and without meetings. I think I'm going to give it a try, so I thought I would mention it here, as well!

Edited to add: I didn't see this last night, but the website actually has a tool to help you determine how many calories you need in a day and how you should divide those calories among the food groups. You can print out your results along with a list of serving sizes. This way, you know that any serving of vegetables is 25 calories and you just watch the size of your serving and how many you consume in one day. You can find the tool here.

3 comments:

Marie said...

I am going to go look at this a little more closely. I tried a little calorie counting today and OH MY GOODNESS!!! I don't know how you did it Rachel - I don't think I have the patience. Now I really appreciate the WW points system because you just slide the little thingie and it tells you how many points. No calorie counting. You just keep track of 21 points (in my case) a day, not any 1200 calories!!! Now I'm really impressed with Rachel....

Kristen said...

Yeah, I started the calorie counting today, and remembered why I stopped doing it last time: when I'm counting calories, I don't eat. I don't want to waste any of my calories on any unworthy food. It's crazy, but by 6pm, I've only consumed about 350 calories and have a blood sugar emergency. Not good. But I can see where it would be really effective if one is not a crazy person...

Rachel said...

thanks for the link!

 
template by suckmylolly.com