Friday, August 22, 2008

Running tips from my sadistic brother

I mentioned briefly that my posture and stance while running was apparently the complete opposite of what it should have been, and I thought I would clarify a little. When running, or even just standing, I tend to lean back into my heels. This is bad. Very bad. Don't do this. It puts a lot of weight, and therefore a lot of strain, on your lower back and pelvis. Not what you want. Instead, you should lean slightly forward, putting your weight on the balls of your feet and your toes. Doing this, you take advantage of gravity to push you forward while running. The other thing I was doing wrong? Ummm, well, apparently you shouldn't squeal and come to a complete stand-still just because you get sweat in your eyes. No matter that it feels like it's trying to sting your eyes right out of your face. Apparently, in that situation, you should just strap on a pair and stop being such a girl. Regardless of your actual gender...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Cool tip, that's good to know! Thanks for sharing!

*~Annette~* said...

I tend to do that anyway, but I have had to widen my running stance!

 
template by suckmylolly.com